I think if I've met you in New England in the last four years, you MUST know I'm not from around here. I don't know what boots and jackets I should have to survive the winter, I don't automatically know the order of Green Line Stops going into the city, I've been snowboarding a total of 5 times in my life. Not a New Englander by birth... for sure.
The typical response when I tell someone I'm from Arizona is, "...and you moved HERE?!?!? - Why?!?" And I get it! Arizona is beautiful; you can BBQ 90% of the year-outside, you are as close to the beach as you are to great ski mountains, everything you ever do is "outdoorsy".... not to mention the things about Arizona you wouldn't know unless you grew up there- you know someone at every bar any given night, everyone's schedule is just a little slower and relaxed, its easy to take your tan for granted (nothing makes me more happy than a flip-flop tan line), UofA Cats gear is everywhere!! BUT, I love it here! There are a lot reasons that goes into my loving it in Boston, and many of those materialized in a big way over the last week.
Truth is I can't do justice to the reason I'm here because that's a combination of a bunch of little reasons; this door shut, this window opened, I was surprised, I was disappointed, I got exactly what I thought I wanted... My path to Boston is full of unexplainable chances and happenings. When I was on the path, I had no idea where it would lead but, now, looking back, I'm grateful for every twist and turn. And that's how life should be, whether you expected to be where you are or have regrets about the past, its important to accept what life has taught you and appreciate who you've become because that's who you are! You never know when this life you live, that you may take for granted, can be compromised.
Recently, that's a thought that had gone through my head round and round for the last week- and I know I'm not the only one.
On Monday, someone somewhere tainted yet another high profile happy time, that we all assumed was safe. This constant barrage of new more horrifying instances are sure to lead most of us to the conclusion- what is safe anymore? I can't answer that certainly but, I'm afraid the answer is not pleasant. But I also believe that's not a reason at all to stop living this life.
Take the story of Patrick and Jessica. I don't know the couple, and I don't think they've done anything specifically "inspirational" [...yet], but just their story makes me think they are going to take these terrible lemons that life has given them and make the best freaking lemonade imaginable. Their smile and the friends and support we can already see, just makes me so confident in the power of positivity. These two lost parts of their legs, and are STILL going to make the world a better place with their smile. That inspires me to turn my frown upside down- despite how angry those dirty dishes are making me.
The last week has been full of stories like Patrick and Jessica's- inspirational, inspiring, familiar, moving, and heart-wrenching. I think that sums up why I love Boston so much. I live in the 10th largest urban area in the US, but this week, I felt like I lived in a tiny town. Every person in the area knew someone who could have been at the finish line, or more tragically, was at the finish line. Not one person finished the day completely "unscathed"- which is impressive since the total number affected by the blast was probably not nearly as high as the number affected in, say, 9/11, but the emotional toll was just as widespread. That has to do with both the closeness of the Boston community and the place in our hearts that the Marathon occupies.
And we can all agree that the culture of Boston is very [very] different from that of any other large urban area in the country... what other city could/would have shut down its entire operations to find one man responsible for a terrorist act? What other city would have their headlining baseball player make speech before the first home game back in the city, and not be at all surprised when he curses- for all the world to hear?
Arizona might be great [and it is...] but Boston is too, and there are more important things than the weather.
No comments:
Post a Comment