Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Road Trip 09- Experiencing America

Right now I'm in the middle of the two week span that will take me from one coast to the other, and that represents a lot of "firsts" in my life. (see the slideshow above)

I graduated last weekend so to celebrate, my parents took me to the happiest place on earth. The Monday and Tuesday that we were at the parks (Disneyland AND California Adventure) were so fun, and because attendance those days were so low, we were able to ride all the rides that we wanted to, including the Finding Nemo submarine ride. That trip was the "first trip to Disneyland [that I can remember Splash Mountain]".

I got back to Tucson on Wednesday and began preparing for the iHos yard sale with the girls. We put so much stuff out in our front yard on Saturday, because we had to get rid of it all- none of us were taking our furniture to the next chapter. We tried to pass on our lovely furniture and nick-knacks, and were semi-successful. That was my "first yard sale".

Then on Sunday, Jenn and I left Phoenix on Road Trip 09. Jenn is taking her car up to Chicago for her summer internship and I guess I'm just along for the ride. We left Tempe early Sunday morning and drove through New Mexico to Boulder to stay with her friend from home. New Mexico, though, is the most awful state in the union. When we pulled into the first gas station that we came across, the pumps weren't working (no gas) because the attendants were changing shifts. Then we went inside so I could get a red bull and one the the men told us the coolers weren't working but that he could give us a cup of ice (no cold drinks). That same man then smiled a semi-toothless grin at us (no teeth) and that's when we left that gas station. When we made it Colorado, everything felt right with the world again. After our nap at Mallory's, we headed to the road again, toward Jenn's home, but we had to first figure out how to get out of Boulder-- there was a Memorial Day 10k through the whole city- two police giving us directions and about an hour later, we made it to the highway. Almost immediately- Jenn is pulled over for speeding. She gets out of it with a verbal warning, we get some coffee, and we head off again. 50 minutes later, she's pulled over again. For speeding, again. She gets out of it, again. 11 hours later we arrive at the farm. And here we sit, at our mid-trip stop: Monticello, Iowa. We'll leave on Friday for Chicago, and for what Jenn promises to be the best popcorn in the state. This is my "first cross-country road trip".

After a day experiencing Chicago, I'll be headed to Boston to work for SCVNGR as a sales intern for the summer. I first met the company last month when they recruited some of us marketing kids to help them with their big event on campus, the Marshall's Diamond Dash. Now I'm moving out to Boston and starting this awesome job with super sick people. Don't let anyone at Eller hear this, but this will techinically be my "first internship".

Along with this "first internship", will come lots of other firsts, that seem so overwhleming right now, but hopefully will come pretty naturally when I'm out there: first big move, first apartment on my own, first total strangers, first functioning and effective public transportation system, first new city, first time on my own. The last one is the most scary. While I'm excited for the opportunity to learn on my own, I am sad that this is the farthest I've been from my parents and my whole support network. This will be interesting. Fun, but interesting.

Tommy was so right in his speech two weekends ago: here come the "firsts". There will never be anything as special as those lasts from college, but I am also really excited for these "firsts".

No comments:

Post a Comment